3 Reasons Why I Love Winter Hiking

By Michelle Lin



I’m from the deep south where snow felt like a special treat. But after living in cities where blizzards and -40°F temps were too extreme for my liking, I escaped to the Pacific Northwest. I fell in love with summer sunsets, glorious wildflowers, and endless trails to explore. I thought I was through with the snow, but I was surprised to discover that I love hiking in the winter. Here's why!

1. Frozen waterfalls

Last winter I encountered my first frozen waterfalls and I fell in love with these magical ice sculptures that only a waterfall can create.


Stepping behind a waterfall surrounded by giant columns of aqua-colored ice is a wondrous experience that can only happen in the depths of winter.


I’m lucky to live in an area with so many waterfalls and love seeing how they transform as the cold lingers, snow accumulates and sprays of water turn to ice.

2. Ice is magic

Okay, so this is kind of like my first reason, but I was amazed to discover these ice formations out in the wild that I didn’t even know were possible!

Just look at these delicate ice hairs which form on dead wood. The conditions have to be just right — just below freezing, before the sun gets to them, dead wood, and the last ingredient: a fungus! Exidiopsis effusa!


And what about these cute plants in ice?


Or this shard of ice from a frozen lake?


Magical, right?

3. Snow is serene


A fresh layer of snow in the woods, on the trail or in the mountains is so serene and peaceful.



The cold keeps a lot of people away and the solitude is all the more reason I love it.


While the long and sun-kissed days of summer will always have my heart, I am excited by all the winter fun that I have yet to experience. I’m looking forward to snowshoeing to an overnight stay at a cabin, cross-country skiing around Crater Lake, and camping in the snow.

ALL IMAGES COURTESY OF MICHELLE LIN



Michelle Lin is a volunteer with Wild Diversity who finds endless joy from spending time outside. She enjoys all sorts of activities including hiking, backpacking, bikepacking, climbing, mountaineering, mushroom foraging, and car camping. You can follow her on Instagram @michelleats.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stayin' Alive

Decolonize the Wilderness